- bell jar
- nouna bell-shaped glass cover used to protect and display delicate objects or to cover scientific apparatus or to contain gases• Syn: ↑bell glass
* * *noun: a bell-shaped usually glass vessel designed to cover and protect objects, to contain gases, or to enclose a vacuum
* * *a bell-shaped glass jar or cover for protecting delicate instruments, bric-a-brac, or the like, or for containing gases or a vacuum in chemical experiments. Also called bell glass.[1875-80]
* * *bell jar nounA bell-shaped glass cover, in laboratories placed over apparatus to confine gases, etc, or used to protect ornaments or flower arrangements• • •Main Entry: ↑bell
* * *a piece of equipment that is made of glass and shaped like a bell, used to surround other equipment during scientific experimentsThesaurus: equipment used in scientific researchhyponym
* * *bell jar,a bell-shaped container or cover made of glass, used in laboratories to cover objects which require protection from variations of the atmosphere, dust, or moisture, or to hold gases in chemical operations; bell glass.
* * *n. a bell-shaped glass cover used for covering delicate objects or used in a laboratory, typically for enclosing samples■ figurative an environment in which someone is protected or cut off from the outside world
let him stay in his bell jar of perfectionist concentration
* * *ˈbell jar 7 [bell jar bell jars] nouna tall round glass cover, used by scientists
Useful english dictionary. 2012.